Sunday, July 28, 2013

Brighton with Stephen

Michelle's brother, Stephen is in town staying with us.  We love having visitors! (hint, hint everyone ;)  Saturday we ventured out of the city to see the beach town Brighton.
 Brighton Pier.  This reminded of us Atlantic City and Coney Island.  It had rides, arcades, carnival games, and lots of food - ice cream, donuts, candy, and, of course, fish and chips.
 Michelle and Stephen waiting for food at a restaurant a ways away from the craziness of the pier but with a great lookout of the ocean.
 Fish and chips!  Truthfully, wasn't so impressed.  Don't think I need to ever order this again, but glad to say I've at least tasted it.  That green stuff, though you  might think is guacamole, is actually pea mash.  Pea mash instead of tartar sauce - not the best British idea.
 Brighton Pier
 The beach at Brighton is a rocky beach instead of the smooth, soft sand you might think of.  That didn't deter any of the sun bathers or swimmers.  Lot's of people were out enjoying a warm summer day at the beach.

 We were so excited to go here - Choccywoccydoodah - for a chocolatey afternoon snack.  Unfortunately we were still to full from the fish and chips.  We had to settle with peering in the windows, wishing we had room in our tummies for this chocolatey goodness.  We'll have to come back.
 Black Lion Lane is the alleged escape route of Charles II, young king of England, after his father was beheaded by the revolutionaries.

Brighton Palace, once royal residence of King Charles I. 
For dinner we stopped at the Giraffe, a restaurant chain pretty common in England.  There Stephen got intrigued by the fine reading materials available to patrons while waiting for a table.

8 comments:

  1. I have loved reading all your updates! So jealous of your adventures right now! And SO SO excited for you guys to be expanding your cute little family as well. Congrats! Hope you're feeling well Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wish you could come visit! Can't wait to see you when we get back in December, though, we miss family sooo much!

      Delete
  2. You and your brother look a lot alike. Sorry you didn't like the fish and chips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those beaches look like the ones up in Washington and Oregon. I should go research why different beaches are composed of different materials. I'll let you know if I learn anything interesting.

    And really? Pea mash? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, it seems there are two competing theories. I'm guessing scientists have worked out which one is correct, but I'm reading about this on the internet, not in peer-reviewed journals... but the internet can't lie, so we're all good. ;)

      Both theories would argue that calmer beaches have more rocks, but for different reasons. One holds that the rocks are broken down into sand by rougher waves. The other holds that the sand is pulled out to the continental shelf by rougher waves, leaving only rocks behind.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, very interesting findings, Jesse, thanks for sharing! I think I prefer calmer beaches if it means softer, sandier shores :)

      Delete
    3. I love how the internet can't lie, in fact this morning i found out i'm related to a king in Zimbabwe, who has left me millions of dollars. Who knew they had millions of dollars in Zimbabwe? At least now i can fund your research into sandy vs pebble beaches :)

      Delete
  4. Hey! You guys look like you're having a ton of fun. I'm a little jealous! (: You look great Michelle! Can't wait for the little one. We miss you guys so much at family dinners!!!
    Oh, and I didn't comment before because I couldn't figure out how to get off Tera's account. I finally figured it out. (:

    ReplyDelete