We slowly getting settled into our house and it feels good to begin to get closer to normalcy. We finally have more in our cupboards than crumpets and honey so we can start to cook at home now. The grocery stores here are different - it took us a while to adjust. The food is definitely more expensive, but they also have more specialty foods here that are harder to get, and even more expensive, in the states. It's going to be fun to experiment and try different foods here.
Today we went and explored the Tower of London. The first portions of this castle were build in 1066, though it was expanded and added on by many monarchs through the years. It was the primary royal residence until 1547 or so, and it is the home of many a prisoner and is famous for it's beheadings of traitors and enemies to the King (including his own wife, at times).
Stephanie, I thought Eric might appreciate these pictures, as I know he plans to own a castle some day :-p
Inside the outer wall of the castleThe crown jewels are housed at London Tower, inside this building where the guard stands. An interesting fact I did not know - all of the royal crowns and jewels were destroyed during the British civil war in 1649. The monarchy regained control of Britain in 1660 Most of the oldest pieces in the collection date back to Charles II, who ordered the replacement and recreation of most of the pieces that were lost during the revolution. The crowns in this collection are incredible - bedazzled and full of sparkle and very large precious stones and diamonds. One of the crowns was so heavy, the queen had it carried ahead of her because she couldn't bear the weight of it on her head!
Traitor's gate - originally intended for the receipt of supplies into the fortress, it became known as traitor's gate because so many alleged traitors were brought in for their beheading through this gate.
The castle gates, shown behind DJ, are original. Can't you just picture Robin Hood escaping through the castle door, just in the nick of time, as the gate slams to the ground behind him?
A heavy castle door - I picture it being stormed by several strong men, using a huge post to ram and weaken the holding.
Dinner afterward - good ol' American BBQ. All this sight seeing makes us hungry!
We explored Hyde Park yesterday. The outer rim is about 4.5 miles around. There are really beautiful flower gardens and all sorts of fields and paths. We only live a block up from the park. I have a feeling we will go here often, and I'm looking forward to it! Our church building is just on the opposite side of the park from us - Sunday walks in the park on the way to church, what could be better?This is a private residence in the park - maybe a gardner? I'm pretty sure I lived in this house at one point in one of my childhood dreams. What a perfect little English cottage!
King William the III? I think? Pretty sure I lived in this house, too, probably when I was reading a Jane Austin book and dreaming about marrying Mr Darcy ;) Now I have Lord Shelton - even better!












I showed the caste pictures to Eric and he couldn't stop looking at it. He also informed me that his castle would be bigger!
ReplyDeleteLol, that is so funny! I am sure his castle will be :) We're going to Windsor Castle this weekend so I'll have more pictures for him soon!
DeleteMichelle--Thanks so much for sharing your adventure! I loved the picture of the cozy cottage. Maybe I need to change professions so I can have one of those. :-)
ReplyDeleteI'll change mine, too, for a nice little English cottage like that! :-p
DeleteWe were in Ensenada last week for our cruise and the store keepers there did the same thing. They may have been even worse. They would block your way so you couldn't walk by, or walk alongside you if you went past, yell at you over and over for you to come in their store, and (my favorite) offer great deals and discounts on Mexican blankets. "Only $7!" Um, thanks, but it's 85 degrees out here...
ReplyDeleteJesse, that's hilarious :) sounds like they would have gotten further selling ice cream!
DeleteYeah, I pretty much only bought a pina colada. (Oh MY! it was delish).
DeleteI want to live in the cottage, serve milk and cookies (all kinds of course) and read bedtime stories to little kids in their pj's. Dave can be the greeter (everyone needs to feel of value and there wont be a need for computer nerds)
ReplyDeleteSounds great, I love the idea. Maybe I can be your baking assistant and DJ can be the official taster/quality control :-p
Delete